My mother-in-law is Japanese. This made my taste buds adopt a weird mix of German Hausmannskost and asian quisine. My undisputed favorite is this sesame-flavoured salad, often served as side-dish with sushi.
- blanch 500 grams of spinach (frozen works well too) and rinse with cold water
- roast sesame (2 tablespoons) without oil
- put tahini (2 tablespoons) in bowl
- add soysauce (4 tablespoons)
- add sugar (4 tablespoons)
- add vinegar (2 teaspoons) – Mirin if at hand
- blend dressing and add squashed spinach from 1. and roasted sesame from 2.
- add crumbled Nori (1 sheet)
While not essential, the seaweed with its crunch and mild fishy flavor is what elevates this dish from solid to pure delight. Damn, I’m hungry now!